You know as well as I do that our ups and downs of living abroad deeply form who we are today, and how we see the world.
I was interviewed by Mariza Taillefer this summer and featured in her podcast Abroadpodcast.com. I´m sharing it with you today because it´s jammed pack with useful information – and gives you a behind the scenes look at what I´ve done to be able to support other expats with their challenges.
I´m including this integral part of my own expat story with you for several reasons. First, you may relate to the challenges see that you are not alone. Second, I want to share the strategies that have worked for me (and my clients), so you can try them in your own life.
Also, I have a unique offer.
Check out what interests you (below) and then share in the comments section with a little on your own expat story. I want to hear from you! What challenges are you facing that you just can´t seem to crack? I will reply personally with a few ideas to try to help you along the way.
Here is a play-by-play so you can skip to what interests you!
In the first 15 minutes you´ll learn:
- The story behind a name like “Sundae Schneider-Bean”
- Why I decided to go abroad
- The three major steps I took that built my adaptation skills
In the second quarter (ca. minute 16-30) you´ll find out:
- The benefits bi-national couples have when there´s a conflict
- The danger of living in a culture that seems similar to yours
- The top coping strategies I used to adapt to life in Switzerland
- Why it is limiting to focus on someone’s nationality
The third quarter of the podcast (ca. 30-45 min) you will discover:
- Why I do what I do
- The reasons I agreed to leave what I built in Switzerland and live in Burkina Faso
- The role fear and fact-finding play in making a big move
The final part of the podcast (min 45 – 60) deals with:
- How I prepared to aid adjustment to a whole new area of the world
- How you can prepare to visit West Africa (applies to other regions as well)
- What I would say to my 16-year-old self, knowing what I know now about my life.
Don´t forget, I want to hear from you! In the comments below (or click here to directly email me) introduce yourself, then tell me about the challenges you still struggle with. I´ll get back to you personally with my best insight.
p.s. If you are new to www.sundaebean.com, don’t miss Sundae Bean’s Purpose Pack – her top three podcasts on finding purpose and step-by-step BONUS guide to help you live a life full of more purpose and meaning – no matter where you are.