Is there reason to suspect that I have been in a Bollywood film?
Chris Smit from Culture Matters raises this issue and others in this episode where I share real-life stories from Switzerland and my life as an expat in Burkina Faso. In this interview you will learn some best practices to untangle some of the tougher challenges of expat life.
In the first half of this podcast, you´ll discover:
- What brought me to Switzerland and the answer to whether I am, in fact, a Bollywood star.
- How adapting to Bern, Switzerland was, in some respects, a harder process than moving to Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso.
- An example from Switzerland and the USA which shows how translating a cultural difference into a neutral language can help you adapt with less frustration.
In the middle of the podcast, we discuss:
- A real-life example from Burkina Faso highlighting why it´s valuable to see a situation based on the locally-held values (and not your own).
- The question I wish I could answer the same way now as I did last year.
- Typical challenges you can expect in a developing context that you could take for granted if you work in a more industrialized country.
In the last part of the podcast, we cover:
- What I do when I hit up against a confusing intercultural experience or feel frustrated.
- What a TCK is, why that matters for non-TCK parents and what helps when there are no clear answers.
- My three tips to be more culturally competent – and the last one will likely surprise you.
Hear this insight, and more, all right here in Episode 050: How to become a Cultural Relativist; with Sundae Bean.
Here is to seeing things with fresh eyes.
p.s. If you are new to www.sundaebean.com, make sure you don’t miss my guide 5 Things You Are Going to Do Wrong While Living Abroad and get ongoing simple solutions for thriving abroad for FREE.Hear real life stories from @SundaeBean and learn best practices to deal with the tougher challenges of #expatlife Click To Tweet