I was jogging on the dusty streets of Ouagadougou with a friend in the early morning before the scorching heat set in.
She’d been living abroad for at least a decade, with their children in tow.
We were brainstorming workshop topics I could offer at the international school.
I suggested a night on TCK identity.
She asked, “What do you mean TCK?”
Maybe you have the same question, or maybe you are well read on Third Culture Kid issues – and even have a worn and adored copy of the classic book “Third Culture Kids: Growing Up Among Worlds by D. Pollock and R. Van Reken on your nightstand.
I am excited to have special guest Ms Megan Norton from Intercultural Transitions with us to understand
- What TCK (or CCK) stands for and why that matters to parents and their children
- The 3 anchors critical you can create to support your TCK to be happy and successful
- How already supporting your pre-teen can help them transition on to a successful college experience
- The biggest hurdles for TCKs
- And more.
Ms. Megan Norton is not only an intercultural training specialist and researcher focusing on trends in transnational higher education she is also an Adult Third Culture Kid, having lived in 10 countries and 5 U.S. States. She combines her lived experience with her professional expertise as an intercultural trainer to design programming tailored to globally mobile students. You can find her micro-blog here: www.adultthirdculturekid.com.
After you have listened to the podcast, I encourage you to check out these great resources mentioned:
- The Five Love Languages, Gary Chapman
- TCK: Growing Up Among Worlds, Revised Edition, David Pollock, Ruth Van Reken, Michael Pollock
- The Global Nomad’s Guide to University Transition, Tina Quick
- Doing Member Care Well: Perspectives and Practices from Around the World, Kelly O’Donnell
It could be that these insights and strategies are just what you need to optimally support your children to thrive during their next transition.
Here’s to successful transitions,
P.S. The free training How to maintain and nurture your relationships with loved ones from afar. is now available! Get it here.